Thursday, September 2, 2010

Refinery Compound Living...Part 3, There Seems to be a Pattern



If any of you have every read any of my blogs or randoms posts then you’re well aware of the two past compounds Emily and I have been sentenced too. Fortunately, the compound in Taiwan was short lived, thanks in part to a timely heater explosion which drastically reduced our time there...kinda like being paroled for undue hardship. The Jiao-Kou River Town compound was a bit longer, around 5 1/2 months, just long enough to give me a few neuromuscular ticks and a lazy eye.

Since returning state-side in May I’ve had vivid images of nice locations, such as our previous assignment in Malaysia, where the location completely spoiled us, and all memories of refinery compounds were suppressed and diluted with some vague pleasing moments. You’d think I would have learned my lesson by now. Perhaps all those shots to the head during my rugby years played a factor in my premature thinking, or...I’m just a sucker who really does think “We did our time, it’s easy sailing from here on out.” Either way my visions of nice locations were shot down like Dick Cheney’s hunting partner.


Two weeks ago I was sitting and biding my time in a cheap hotel on the outskirts of Detroit. Emily was doing a trouble-shoot for the refinery there and working her usual 80-hr weeks leaving me to the thoughts in my head and some Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons...the latter being the most productive of the two activities. The day before my birthday we got some “splendid” news that we were to head to Japan, land of electronics, robots and people with pent up aggression against Americans since 1945. Emily and I have heard nothing but good things about going to Japan on an assignment, both work and tourism related. The only bad thing ever reported was the cost...and that statement is definitely true. I did the usual research and find out we’re on the island of Shikoku, Ehime Prefecture...about half-way between Matsuyama and Imabari. Ok, it seems a little remote, but transportation in Japan in smooth and efficient...right?


Upon reading the site report from the Chief already there, the reality of living in another “Refinery Compound” struck again and all those repressed memories began to re-surface. “But, it’s Japan, it can’t be that bad.” Oh, but it CAN....and It IS!

Em and I left Chicago on the 12:03 flight to Tokyo, Narita airport. I got upgraded to business class for the first time in over a year and we actually landed early in Japan. We transferred airports and made it just in time to catch an early flight to Matsuyama. We landed, caught a taxi to the hotel, and prepared for some much needed sleep. So far everything is going great..that is, until the next morning when we meet up with the rest of the crew and the people taking us to the refinery. The other crew members begin to inform us of how remote the refinery is...nothing accessible by walking so you need a car...but, we get our own apartment!


We finally arrive on site and the refinery workers make me and the other road husband sit through a briefing on how not to screw up the apartment...as if that’s my job when I get here. They take us to our apartments, we open the door, and are hit with 90 degree musty heat. The apartment is a nice size place...only problem is that we only have two asian versions of window unit A/C’s...which can’t cool the whole place. So we closed off two of the bigger rooms that don’t have A/C, or furniture, because why would we need furniture in this place, we should be packing our own! The ONLY furniture is a tiny table and 4 small chairs, a metal cot for Emily to sleep on and a folded mattress for me to sleep on the floor...we were lucky enough to get two small bean bag pillows though. OH, forgot about the 13-inch TV in the corner with 5 Japanese channels.


The refinery people spent all of 3 minutes showing us how to use the gas stove, which I found out this morning doesn’t work all that well, and they proceeded to tell Emily to get into her Nomex and meet them outside in 10 minutes to go to work, BUT, not before they took the time to scold me for having my shoes on in the house. I understand their culture and try to respect it, but I just carried two 70lb suitcases up 3 flights of stairs; I’m sweating my balls off and they don’t have the miniscule bit of respect to let Emily cool off and get situated before demanding her to be downstairs. (Just to spite them I wore my shoes around the house all afternoon while I unpacked, even trying the occasional moonwalk across the floor)


Now, we’re supposed to buy groceries so we can cook...seeing as how the nearest restaurant is 15-20 minutes by car, so we went to the store and bought a few groceries and washing detergent...totaling $120. When we get back we realize that all we have for cooking is one small pot, one small frying pan, two plates, two soup bowls, two spoons and forks...THATS IT...minus the giant rice cooker, of course, which is also labeled in Japanese. This morning we woke up to realize that A.) We don’t know how to get the hot water to work in the shower...that takes 15 minutes of hitting some Japanese labeled buttons and twisting knobs. B.) The stove won’t come on and I almost singed my eyebrows when bending down trying to get the gas burners to light. C.) Some device on the wall keeps beeping and I don’t know why...again, it’s all in Japanese. D.) The washing machine..all in Japanese, doesn’t seem to work, but then again, who knows what button I’m pushing. I may be accidentally signaling Godzilla to come take a peak and we don’t want that kind of havoc around a refinery...do we?


Like all refinery compound assignments, I hope this comes to an end quickly. Fortunately, the Japanese adhere to a strict schedule, and usually get things done promptly. Also we have 3 rental cars to share between all the crew, which means that Vito (the other road husband) and I can use a car during the day if need be...I just have to finish forging the expiration date on my international drivers license first and figure out how to read an all Japanese GPS device.

Until then, it’s back to the tiny table for me...studying some Spanish and entertaining the voices in my head while keeping my lazy eye searching for signs of Godzilla.

1 comment:

  1. Yo Trav!
    The apartment sounds like when I got to Korea! HA! Been here two years and still sleeping on the floor (although I love it now)
    I had the same thing with my water heater here dude, there were plenty of profanity laced mornings when the thing wouldn't come on and I had to try and figure it out. Looks like a nice area though, but sometimes too rural ain't good!
    How's the Rosetta Stone coming?!

    ReplyDelete